Water to the Rescue!
Thursday 12th December, 2013
The Holiday Accommodation Parks Association of New Zealand (HAPNZ) is proud to announce its strategic alliance with EcoWai, premium, New Zealand bottled spring water for the direct benefit of the Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust (YEPT).
Now, Ecowai branded, pure New Zealand sourced and bottled spring water will be available for purchase at participating holiday park association members, nationwide, with a large percentage of the profit being directly gifted by HAPNZ, to the Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust for the conservation of the seriously endangered, indigenous Yellow-eyed penguins, on a year by year basis.
Chief Executive, Fergus Brown, says he is delighted with this initiative, as EcoWai water and the Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust sit strategically alongside the fundamental and philosophical principals of HAPNZ, including sustainability, recycling and preservation of our natural habitats and endangered wildlife for all visitors to enjoy.
"An important aspect of HAPNZ's modus operandi is its partnerships with ecologically responsible suppliers and support of New Zealand's wonderfully diverse, native flora and fauna, something our visitor sector, both domestic and international, is well aware of and eager to see remain for future generations" says Mr Brown, "The yellow-eyed penguin is very special, being unique to New Zealand and with the threat from introduced predators and a disappearing natural habitat, they are in need of our help. The Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust does a remarkable job with only minimal government funding, that may disappear soon."
"The funds raised from the sale of EcoWai spring water will provide much-needed boost for scientific research to assist in getting to know more about the penguins, so to better devise conservation projects that benefit their survival, and habitat restoration of their coastal breeding grounds. HAPNZ is pleased to be associated with such a dedicated and respected ecological trust that has a practical conservation ethic and willingness to include education and public access to one of our natural taonga."
For more information:
Holiday Accommodation Parks Association of NZ
Phone 04 298 3283
Mobile 021 535087
Phone 09 352 9018
Mobile 021 625 682
Holiday Park Key facts:
- The holiday park sector provides 38% of New Zealand’s commercial accommodation capacity and 20% of actual guest nights
- In the past year holiday parks provided 6,325,431 guest nights
- Guest nights to holiday parks are made up of approximately 32% international visitors and 68% domestic visitors
- While staying at holiday parks guests contribute $733 million in direct expenditure to the local communities
- Approximately $372 million (51%) of the expenditure is contributed by domestic travellers, with the balance of $362 million (49%) by international travellers
EcoWai and Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust Key Facts:
- A substantial percentage of profit from every EcoWai water bottle sold will directly benefit the Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust.
- EcoWai premium, New Zealand still, spring water is bottled at and from one single, sustainable source, in 50% post-consumer recycled plastic bottles with no ecologically damaging slipper tops and all packaging is 100% recyclable under current mainstream recycling methods .
- EcoWai water bottles are only supplied to organisations that are committed to recycling and sustainable practices.
- The Yellow-eyed Penguin Trust was established in 1987 with the aim of saving the Yellow-eyed Penguin by restoring coastal habitat and controlling predators. The Trust's aim is to provide a protected, natural (non-captive) habit so the penguin population can become sustainable in its own right.
- YEPT carries out fencing projects to protect habits, predator and threat control, research projects, has established a plant nursery to grow the plants required for habitat restoration and provides education on conservation of the penguins and public accessibility for viewing.